1857 to 1861
Trincomalee is once again placed 'in ordinary'.
1861 - January
Trincomalee was towed to Sunderland to act as tender for the drill ship
HMS Castor, a vessel used to train Naval Volunteers (boys of 15 or
16 who had signed up to serve for a minimum of ten years once they
reached the age of 18). During this time Trincomalee's gun ports were
altered to accommodate her training armament.
Trincomalee was moved to West Hartlepool, at the time Britain's third
biggest port, and, although no one knew it at the time, her future
permanent home. Placed in the Union Dock, she was again classified
as a training command.
1870 - April
Trincomalee is upgraded with new guns, refurbished upper deck and a roof
to hold out the weather.
1873 - January
Trincomalee was recommissioned.
Trincomalee was moved to Southampton Water as a district drill ship.
A new upper deck and galley were amongst several refurbishments.
HMS Medea was assigned to the role of Southampton area training ship,
and Trincomalee was 'reduced to reserve' with the intention being to
use her as a depot.
1897 - May
Trincomalee was sold to Reed's of Portsmouth for breaking. However, at
roughly the same time TS Foudroyant, once Nelson's flagship and then
a private training ship owned by Mr Wheatly Cobb, was wrecked in a
storm off Blackpool. Cobb instantly snapped up Trincomalee to replace
his lost vessel.
1897 to 1902
Trincomalee was moved to Cowes for repairs and conversion, including
the addition of an additional poop deck covering the quarter deck.
In 1902 she was moved to Falmouth and repainted.